Dear Brook Hill Families,
I hope that you have had a pleasant and relaxing summer and are looking forward to a great school year.
Throughout the summer, we have been working diligently to ensure that our students have a wonderful, safe, and productive 2016-2017 school year.
In our continuing efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for our students and our staff, we are implementing some significant changes to the security program at The Brook Hill School. These changes have come about after significant research and hours of consultation with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
We have outlined below the changes that have been implemented to help keep our school community safe.
• Beginning in September, all exterior doors at Brook Hill will be locked. The middle school and upper school students will be issued a photo ID with their name and a barcode that will be used for entry to the appropriate buildings on the Brook Hill campus. This ID will be worn by either a lanyard or clip between the student’s shoulders and their waist so that it is visible at all times.
• Any authorized person who will be picking up a student prior to the end of the school day, must be processed through the front desk.
• Visitors, contractors, and all outside maintenance workers will be required to check in at the front desk, on a daily basis, and will be issued a visitor’s badge.
• We have improved our ability to monitor activities on the Brook Hill campus by installing new cameras that will observe inside activities, monitor movements around the campus, as well as track vehicles entering and exiting the campus.
• As in years past, we will have a Bullard Police Department School Resource Officer on campus throughout the school year. In addition, we have extended his hours to include extra-curricular activities.
• Signs will be posted prohibiting the unauthorized carrying of weapons on campus.
• In 2015, Brook Hill began a pilot program to train select school personnel to be armed on campus. The individuals selected for this program have gone through thorough screenings (including a psychological evaluation) and extensive training programs.
Please know that we take the safety and security of our students and staff very seriously and will diligently continue working on this ongoing project. Thank you for your continued support of our security program and feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Director of Campus & Student Safety
Dean of Students