From the desk of Rod Fletcher, Headmaster:
Each year, before classes begin, I meet with the new senior class and challenge them. I challenge them by stating, “As the Senior Class goes…so goes the school-year.” I let them know that although the school’s faculty, staff, and administration works and plans and strategizes, the real direction of the year is determined by the student leaders – the senior class. It’s the senior class that sets the tone for the year. And then I tell them the following:
Brook Hill needs seniors to be leaders who:
- Ask the most important question: What is the wise thing for me to do?
- Making choices with the end in mind goes a long way toward ensuring a happy ending.
- Maturity is the ability to postpone instant gratification.
- Are unselfish.
- Put others before yourself (Matthew 20:26-28)
- This is radical thinking. (Not typical of seniors)
- Are principled.
- They do what is right, not just what feels good
- Have a desire to be significant.
- Do you want Brook Hill to remember you?
- Do you want to make an impact?
- Get involved
- Show up and show support.
I am thankful that this class listened. As I watch them lead, it is clear that they are determined to do their part to make the 2013-2014 school-year a great one. I am thankful for the opportunity to serve as the Headmaster at a school with great student leadership.