From the desk of Jan Hommel, Museum Director:
This cannon was manufactured in 1795. Although there is no definitive information on its manufacturer, the axle is marked “Kinsley Iron & Machine,” an iron and machine shop in Canton, Massachusetts that began operating in 1787. They are known to have produced muskets for the U.S. Army as well as mounts and gun barrels for area gunsmiths.
One can reasonably conclude that this barrel along with the iron mounts (on the restored carriage) were made by them as well. The barrel is 6’ 7” long and weighs 1500 lbs. Both barrel and carriage weigh approximately 2100 lbs. Similar cannon are located on the Chalmette Battlefield in New Orleans, the location of the last battle of the War of 1812 on January 8, 1815.